Thursday, 25.Apr.2024, 11:41 AM
Welcome Guest | RSS

imagebam.com

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » ...::DVDRip & BDRip::... » Blues » Screamin'Jay Hawkins - I Put A Spell On Me (2001)
Screamin'Jay Hawkins - I Put A Spell On Me (2001)
vianderDate: Friday, 18.Aug.2017, 5:28 PM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators

INFO:

Source: WEBRip
Video compression mode: [MKV,1080p][H.264,AC3]
Size MB: 1780
Total Run Time mn. 102:06
Split rar file in parts: 4

Screamin' Jay Hawkins is someone with a cult following, but was familiar to me for a single song - I Put A Spell On You. He mingled with Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley, began having hits in 1956 and continued to perform his music until his death, aged 70, in Paris in 2000. This documentary film follows the resurrection of his career after he left the USA and found a new fan base in Europe. He achieved acclaim mainly for his outrageous stage persona (and from this film, his off-stage one was not too different). His insane stare, voodoo-esque skulls and snakes, infamous stage entrance via a closed coffin and characteristic screaming vocals made him a talent way ahead of his time. Alice Cooper and Marilyn Manson certainly seem to owe something to the ground broken by this crazy performer.

Whether or not he is a talent you appreciate is ultimately a matter of personal taste. To be honest, I thought his musical skills were somewhat limited and would not consider myself a fan of the man's work. With this documentary, you do at least get a chance to appreciate his quirky, and very individualistic style. The film is composed of scenes of some of his final performances in Greece in 1999, coupled with historical footage and reminiscences from some of his friends and admirers. These include Bo Diddley, Arthur Brown (The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown) and Eric Burdon (The Animals). It is a tale of exploitation - Hawkins saw next to no money from royalties on his music, and spent the later part of his career living in a trailer and playing cover songs in rib joints.

There is more to the story than just Jay's performances - it is a tale of racism, exploitation, six marriages and the resilience of a proud but crazy man. Personally, I Put A Spell On Me will not warrant much repeat viewing, but as a retrospective of a true original, there will be some entertainment here for fans of Screamin' Jay or his music.

Pass: SOUNDSTAGE

vianderDate: Friday, 23.Jul.2021, 7:38 AM | Message # 2
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators

Forum » ...::DVDRip & BDRip::... » Blues » Screamin'Jay Hawkins - I Put A Spell On Me (2001)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: